viernes, 6 de noviembre de 2009

100 Days, 100 Chefs, 100 Recipes: Day 93 Gui Alinat

Mueva la barra lateral para su traducción al español

Born, raised and classically trained in Provence, I’m a chef, food writer and catering business owner. I traveled extensively, working in restaurants around the world from France to England, from Spain to South America, to finally settle in Florida.

Catering to a very high-end clientele, I started cooking in private homes in 2001, with not much more than a set of German knives and a few coolers. My business has quickly grown to a full-size catering company, serving over 1800 high-end private dinner parties and serving about 28,000 people. With an exclusive client base, and media recognition, our team has become a recognized landmark in the Tampa Bay culinary scene.

I am also a published writer and have written many columns for the award-winning food section of the St. Petersburg Times, one of the largest independent newspapers in the US. I write for food blogs, including my own, and other magazines and culinary reviews. My first book is coming out in December 2009.

My culinary style can be best described as authentic continental gourmet cuisine with slight influences from Provence and elsewhere. Rustic yet elegant, my food is said to embody simplicity of taste, authentic ingredients and sharp presentations. I also focus on sound nutrition and a very natural way of cooking and eating.

I am not a diabetic but have worked extensively with that disease. In fact, in 1999, two medical doctors hired me to open a weight control clinic and cooking school focused on diabetes. For 2 years, I helped diabetic patients control their blood sugar levels through healthy foods and lifestyle. I led cooking classes directly geared to diabetics.

In addition, my father in law is a diabetic and we talk a lot about his medical challenges as well as his health improvements. When he visited my family in the South of France (Mediterranean diet), he realized how easy it was to control his blood sugar through smart food choices. We have learned a lot from each other.

Tuna Carpaccio with pistacchios
Serves 4

Ingredients

4- 1 ounce pieces of sashimi grade tuna,
2 tablespoons pistacchios, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

1. Place a 10” X 10” piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board.
2. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil onto plastic wrap. Place a thick slice of tuna on top of wrap and drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil on top of tuna. Salt and pepper.
3. Place an identical piece of plastic wrap on top of the tuna.
4. With a kitchen mallet, gently pound tuna to paper thin, ensuring the consistency of the tuna is the same thinness.
5. Repeat with remaining tuna, refrigerate and set aside.
6. Gently peel plastic off of the tuna, and place tuna on plate. Drizzle 1 tsp. olive oil on top of tuna, some lemon juice, chopped basil, salt and pepper, the pistacchios and serve.

100 Días, 100 Chefs, 100 Recetas: Día 93 Gui Alinat

Texto en Construcción

No hay comentarios: