martes, 11 de agosto de 2009

100 Days, 100 Chefs, 100 Recipes: Day 6 Sebastian Holda


Versión en Español

My culinary adventure started in 1996. At that time, I did my professional apprenticeship at the Dorint Hotel, Germany. Under the watchful eye of my Chef, I was learning all the arcana of kitchen work and deepening my knowledge on gastronomy and food industry as a whole. Only then did I realize that the culinary art, high cuisine, is my ultimate vocation and passion.

After having accomplished the school, I passed the exams to the gastronomy school in Krefeld, Germany, and later on in Aachen. It was really my “school of life”.

Then I did realize that working in kitchen was not an easy task at all, that this profession required a tremendous physical and psychical effort, as well as it called for lots of sacrifices and dedication. Despite that, I was increasingly growing convinced that cooking is my passion

Also, I did find out that the basis for professional work was doing what you like, what gives you pleasure and makes you happy and satisfied with your professional achievements and guarantees the sense of self-esteem and self- assurance.

This was how I started gradually, step by step, entering into the great, interesting, and inspiring world of high cuisine.

It was not easy, though...

My first professional experience I was gaining while I was at the secondary school, working under the supervision of my more experienced head chefs and culinary masters in hotels and renowned fine dining restaurants.

When I graduated the secondary school, I used to travel in Italy, Austria, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates. While traveling, I had the opportunity not only to learn the secrets of national and regional cuisines, but I had a contact with culture of those countries and I managed to learn the mentality of their citizens as well. Travels had proven me that my profession is a constant, ongoing challenge for me, that a human being learns throughout the entire life.
While moving up the professional ladder, I managed to gain a comprehensive and vast know-how and experience.

At present, I am the Executive Chef de Cuisine at the Polonia Palace Hotel in Warsaw. I am very proud of having the opportunity to pass my knowledge and professional skills onto my cuisiniers and apprentices.

Moreover, I also share my culinary knowledge with the participants of the Culinary Academies organized and conducted by me regularly at the hotel.

About my experience with diabetics I was working and as well I have friends
witch are diabetics.

Spiced Fillet of beef

Ingredients

1/2 whole fillet of beef, about 3 1/2 pounds (1.75 kg)
3 tablespoons (45 ml) paprika
1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cumin
1tablespoon (15 ml) ground coriander
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground black pepper
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
French Dijon mustard
German hot-sweet mustard

Method

Have the butcher trim the fillet and remove all visible fat.

Mix together the paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper and nutmeg. Spread this dry marinade evenly all over the fillet. Cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least two days and up to 4 days.

On the day before cooking, open the foil and plastic wrap and sprinkle with the salt. Reseal and place in refrigerator.

When ready to cook remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), Gas Mark 6.

Sear the meat on a griddle or skillet on all sides until browned. Remove to a roasting pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until it is done to your liking, 15 to 20 minutes will give you rare meat, 23 to 28 minutes for medium. Remember, that fillet will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven. Place the meat on a cutting board and cover with foil. Allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes.

Slice into very thin slices and place decoratively on your serving platter surrounded by the rice salad.

Serve with small bowls of French and German mustards.

No hay comentarios: