sábado, 12 de septiembre de 2009

100 Days, 100 Chefs, 100 Recipes: Day 38 Chef Klink


Versión en Español

Becoming a chef was almost a non choice. My grandparents were first generation from Europe, so as with many new to the country farming and the hospitality buisness became their career. My grandparents ran a restaurant that my dad grew up in, but by his high scholl graduation they put the restaurant for sale. My dad worked construction for many years and in the off season worked catering and motel work.
When I was 12 my folks but a restaurant and then it became serious. For my nighty meal the chefs would have me do basic prep and cleaning. By the time I was 18 years old I had worked with some amazing cooks in some deceant restauarants all over the Eastern part of Washington State.

Thought food was not for me so I chose to pour concrete for a job. After 6 months I was in culinary school. Trained at The Inland Northwest Culinary Academy. Graduated and went on to apprenticeship for 3 years while teaching as adjunct at the school I graduated from. Decied to get more education went on to get a bachelor degree in Communications and Govement and a Master of Organizational Leadership while working my way up the chef ladder. Currently moving forward with a Phd. should start early2010.

I have worked all over North America from TV chef to teacher from executive chef to private chef for the rich and famous.

The chef I most admire would be Anthony Bourdain. Because of is un willingness to be anything other then himself.

Gazpacho (gahz-PAH-choh): A cold Spanish Soup made of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, onions, olive oil, vinegar, and traditionally thickened with staling bread. Great summertime soup that is perfect for hot days and to use up those extra veggie’s from your gardens.

Chilled Spicy Gazpacho
Makes 1 gallon

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds of fresh tomatoes
1 cup diced Sweet Onions
1 diced Green Pepper
1 diced Red Pepper
1 pound of cucumbers; seeded and diced
1 ounce of garlic; minced
2 ounce of red wine vinegar
2 ounce of lemon Juice; fresh squeezed
1 tablespoon of lemon Zest; minced
4 ounces of virgin olive oil
1quart of tomato juice
1 quart V8
1 quart Spicy V8
2 tablespoons tabasco
Season with Salt and Pepper to taste
Bread crumbs to thicken if necessary

Garnish:

8 ounces of diced tomatoes
12 ounces of bell peppers mixed colors; small dice
4 punces of cucumbers, peeled seeded, diced
Sour Cream Sauce:
6 punces of sour cream
1-2 ounces of heavy cream

Preparations:

Combine and puree all ingredients; expect tomato juice, garnish, sour cream sauce, and V8. Stir in V8’s and adjust consistency with tomato juice till soup like. After you add all the juice and V8, bread crumbs can be used for the desired thickness.
Top each bowl being served with a stripe of thinned sour cream and a heaping tablespoon of vegetable garnish. Serve very cold for best flavor and appearance.

This is vegetarian safe, but refreshing and delightful on these hot summer days.

No hay comentarios: